Hydro Group supplied all the manned system penetrators and designed and supplied the innovative breakaway connection system for the battery pods.
The range of penetrators supplied were LRS type approved to 650msw depth and varied in type from a single contact to 55 contact versions, all with compatible approved Low Smoke Zero Halogen inboard tails and subsea rated external cable.
As present in previous LR iterations, the LR11 includes the ability to jettison its battery pods to facilitate the safe ascent to the surface of the main accommodation module. Our Design Team worked closely with Forum’s Engineers to develop a Breakaway Mechanism that would allow the Safe and Controlled Release of the Battery Connectors in an Emergency situation. The solution developed included special profiling of the Connector Mould profile to engage with Forums Hydraulically actuated separation plates. The actual Connector Couplings were also designed with a Lock/Release mechanism pre-set to separate under a known load condition.
According to Forum, the new LR11 SRV can operate at depths of up to 600m and will be capable of rescuing up to 17 submariners at a time. It is divided into two sections: a command module for pilots, and a rescue chamber for the submarine crew and a chamber attendant.
LR11 will undergo final sea trials with its customer during the second quarter of 2021.
Heather Andrade, Head of Sales at Hydro Group commented – “the team at FET were great to work with. Early engagement was the key to the successful delivery of the project. We wish them success in their final trials and look forward to working with them in the future.”
Developments and Features
• designed and supplied innovative breakaway connection system for battery pods
• LRS type approved to 650msw depth for manned system penetrators
• single contact to 55 contact versions
• compatible approved Low Smoke Zero Halogen inboard tails and subsea rated external cable
• ability to jettison its battery pods to facilitate the safe ascent to the surface of the main accommodation module
• special profiling of the connector mould profile to engage with Forums hydraulically actuated separation plates
• connector couplings designed with a lock/release mechanism pre-set